Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Timing Issues

  1. #11
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Dazzler:

    The Power Of Love by Jenifer Rush, which I believe is the slowest song ever to get to number one (!)
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">not to mention one of the shittiest songs to get to number one.
    j/k. I guess it was alright in it's day.

    [img]smile.gif[/img]

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Gary Linieres's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2004
    Posts
    124
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I find singing the bass line or 16's really helped me. I am fairly new to this board (any board in fact) and I am V impressed with the knowledge and empathy of some of you chaps.

  3. #13
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Point taken Rudy!! But it's ok as an excercise in slower tempo's.

    .....what about The Power Of Love by Huey Lewis and The News? The Power of Love by T-Bone Burnett or The Power of Love by Frankie Goes To Hollywood?!?!?

    [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  4. #14
    Inactive Member XNavyDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2002
    Posts
    871
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Along those lines Peter, I've used a similar technique...raising my sticks but to mimic the motion of the conductor. This would help us nail "one" at exactly the same time.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was going to come back and say
    that very thing, Andy! You are a
    mind reader!

    I love to play for conductors, who
    really exaggerate their movements.

    The last time I did, she said to
    me that I was staring her into
    the ground! LOL

    It really does help.

    One more thing - ALWAYS tap your
    heel to the quarter note pulse,
    when you can and through fills
    that should only be those you
    command extremely well.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 22, 2004 06:19 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  6. #16
    Inactive Member ShortskirtDrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2004
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Wink

    Julian,

    Don't forget that you can also ask Anton Fig, Steve Hass or Mike Visceglia(session bassist) about this on their message boards. Looking at their discographies they have to know a thing or two about time. ;-)

  7. #17
    Inactive Member peter c's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 15th, 2003
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, I agree with the above.

    I might add this.

    When I back up singers, I have
    been lucky enough to receive
    compliments on my ballad meter,
    which I'm humbly thankful for
    and not just from the singer
    but from horn players too.

    Expanding on the space in be-
    tween the notes, when I play
    these tempos, I lift my sticks
    off the cymbals, in a way that
    suggests I am hitting another
    surface above them on the up-
    beat (I hope I am explaining
    this right). I exaggerate that
    motion as well.

    I see classical percussionists
    do this a lot and I think it
    really helps.

    I also add the 16ths notes
    every now and then to give
    everyone a reference.

    You're really there to keep
    everyone else on the page.

    That's my 2-cents.

    [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 22, 2004 12:24 PM: Message edited by: peter c ]</font>

  8. #18
    Inactive Member Julius24's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2004
    Posts
    163
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    THANKS everyone for great responses.
    I?ll keep all in mind for the next audition.
    Anyway this summer i?m making my living of playing drums -for the very first time-, so u can imagine how happy I am.
    Thanks again guys, it?s great to get positive feedback.
    I?ll post some of my playing soon so u can tell me what you think about mi time! [img]smile.gif[/img]

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Originally posted by Dazzler:

    what about The Power Of Love by Huey Lewis and The News?

    [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now you're talkin! [img]wink.gif[/img]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •